Thursday, August 28, 2014

Joaquin Phoenix in Final Negotiations to Play Doctor Strange


While its release date hasn't been officially announced, many people suspect Doctor Strange will be hitting theaters July 2016. That's all fine and dandy, but its still up in the air on who will wear that signature cape and take on the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme. Well, it was until Collider announced that Academy Award winning actor Joaquin Phoenix is apparently in final negotiations to play the role.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed by this development. Don't get me wrong, I think Phoenix is a fine actor and he's done some fantastic work. I personally wanted Pedro Pascal (a.k.a., Oberyn Martell) for the part. Pascal would have been an amazing Stephen Strange, and I want that man to get a lot more work. Also, I just don't feel like Phoenix is the right person for the part.

However, a lot of people felt that way about Robert Downey Jr. as well. When that casting was announced, I remember everyone criticizing it. I was passenger on that bandwagon for a little while myself until I thought about Downey's past, the things he's gone through, and how much he looks like Tony Stark. Now, people probably can't think of anyone playing Iron Man but Robert Downey Jr. 

The same thing could happen here. I could remain incredibly skeptical until I see the move and be blown away. You never know. However, something just doesn't feel right about this casting. I really hope this goes well and we don't end up with another Rhodey situation on our hands. 

What do you think? Do you think Mr. Phoenix is good choice for the Sorcerer Supreme? If not, who would you cast in the role?

No comments:

Post a Comment